Gateau au beurre (Butter cake)
Ooh butter cake.
I haven’t had that in more than 5 years. And since I’m craving some good cake, I thought I’d share the recipe with you.
I love eating that cake fresh out of the oven (warm) Mmm-mmm good! Especially when the outside layer is crispy. At home, we enjoy it with some good cremas/kremas or fresh coffee! Let’s cook!
Cooking time : 30-40mns, 350F
4 cups of all purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of butter
1 cup of evaporated milk
1 tbsp of rum
6 large eggs
1 pinch of salt
4 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of vanilla essence
1 tsp of lime zest
- Beat the butter using the back of a wooden spoon. Slowly add sugar and keep beating until sugar blends into the mix
- Leave the mix to rest at room temperature. The mixture should not be oily nor should it be heavy. You can also let it rest inside of a container with cold water. This will help.
- Separate white of egg from yolk. Save the white for step 5. Beat the yolk until it gives you a semi-clear appearance. Add vanilla essence, rum & lime zest. Add the mixture slowly to the butter+sugar one. Beat heavily to obtain a smooth and creamy paste
- Sift ( Put the powdery substance through a sieve so as to remove lumps or large particles.) the flour 2 to 3 times with the baking powder. Add it to the creamy mixture, alternating with the milk. As you do so, do not beat the mixture heavily as you did previously. Mix slowly and smoothly.
- Beat the white of the eggs until it looks like snow. (For this step, raise your spatula frequently to allow as much air as possible to come in). Add it to the mix in step 4.
- The mix should be soft now so that it falls as a ribbon into your cake mold.