Salade Russe (Russian Salad)
Sunday afternoons in Haiti when each person was responsible to prepare a special dish for dinner.
Unlike here, dinner is held between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. I mostly remember it being around 1:00 PM which I still thought was a little too early because if I planned on preparing a dish, I’d have to get at it in the morning or simply before 12:30 PM.
On Sundays, mom would allow us to cook a little something special. My sister would prepare her flan or baked macaroni and I would do a cold salad or bake a cake. I would barely be in the kitchen in the back. That’s where the big and real deal cooking would be happening with mom and the cook.
Instead, I would just grab some eggs and vegetables and a mixing bowl and simply use the counter or table in the salle-à-manger ( A little room with an oven, a smaller version of a dining room where we would eat breakfast/lunch/supper )
The following recipe is a traditional one, not a Haitian native one. (just like the onion pie). It’s usually enjoyed cold and is mostly served in Sunday family dinners.
A recipe of my own:
- 2 beets
- 3 big potatoes
- 2 carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsps of mayonnaise or 2 tbsps of home-made mayonnaise:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs (optional)
- green peas (optional)
- green onions (optional)
- 1tbsp of mustard (optional)
- 1 tbsp of parsley
- Boil your beets in one pot . Bring another pot to boil your potatoes and carrots.
- Once they’re done boiling (It should be in the next 20 to 30 mns), remove your vegetables, peel them and cut them into dices.
- Transfer your beets, potatoes and carrots into a bowl. Add your mayonnaise and season to taste with your salt, parsley and pepper.
- You can also add green peas, mustard and green onions to your mixture to make it more rich.
If you want to add the eggs. Boil them first, let them cool down, cut into dices, then add them into your vegetables mix.
- Cool in the refrigerator for about 15 to 30 mns before serving.